[Buddha-l] Bourgeois Buddhism

Federico Andino dingirfecho at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 20:07:12 MDT 2011

Sorry, but the article still reeks, to me, of the orientalists´ search
for true origin. The "buddhist people of asia do not meditate,
therefore if you focus on meditation you´re not buddhist" line of
thinking it´s not really useful, for me. Here in the west people
equate both buddhism and meditation, so it´s natural if they´re seen
as interrelated. And who´s to say that the American Buddhism is not
buddhism?
Anyway, while from my experience very few people who are interested in
buddhism do care for the philosophy of it, I wonder how many of the
"devout Thais" of Mr.Flanagan´s experience know Dignaga, say.

F.