[Buddha-l] Bourgeois Buddhism

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Wed Sep 21 10:33:50 MDT 2011

It has been my experience, limited though it might be, that the Western
Buddhists I know follow the 8-Fold Path while ethnic Buddhists I know do not.
No  idea if this is true beyond the people I know

I have visited a local Thai Buddhist temple center many times and given
talks there. Several of the monks always ask me about my attending some
upcoming  ceremony and are quite surprised when I say I won't. They seem to think
my sole  function as a layperson is dana and attending rites and rituals.

jack