[Buddha-l] Bourgeois Buddhism

Federico Andino dingirfecho at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 12:58:17 MDT 2011

I´m not saying to debate, but rather to determine.Really, do you think
that academicians should be in charge to determine what is buddhism
and what is not?
Who would care, really? I mean, for example, there´s a good case to
say that Won (or Nichiren, or in fact the whole Vajrayana) is not
"essential" buddhism as you term it. So, let´s say that we debate and
get to the point that we can successfully argue that Dharmapala cults,
or Nichiren nihon-centric perspective or Won reliace on Confucianism
is not buddhism. Do you think they will care?

Once, when I was a student, an assistant professor was trying to
create a kind of chamber of orientalists to determine if all the
centers that taught Yoga were in fact doing so, instead of teaching a
mixture of Theosophical ideas and physical postures. He even went to
some of those places and tried to "correct" them. Unsurprisingly, they
laughed and threw him out. Remember e-sangha and Namdrol´s position on
reincarnation? How´s this "essential buddhism "any different?