[Buddha-l] Bourgeois Buddhism

Federico Andino dingirfecho at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 10:39:40 MDT 2011

> Let me be clear: I'm not claiming that knowledge of various languages
> automatically renders one _more_ qualified. Nor am I claiming that
> taking a prescriptivist line on what is and isn't "true Buddhism" is a
> useful way for scholars to be spending their time. I'm just asking
> what lies behind the suspicion of scholarship. It seems, well, not
> terribly Buddhist to me. (But what do I know? I'm only a scholar.)
>

> Best wishes,
>
> R. Nance
> Indiana University

Dear Richard, I´m not sure that Jack is claiming that being a scholar
is a detriment; rather, I think that he´s talking about
self-definition in a contained group. A close-knit group, calling
themselves buddhists will not be very swayed. I think that his line of
thinking was on the "true Buddhism" line, which neither you not me are
very keen on. But of course, scholarly knowledge (both Buddhism and
the social sciences) only enriches our perspective, I think.

On a more popular level...I fear Erik is right. Definition is market-driven now.