[Buddha-l] iNTERESTING US MAP GRAPHIC SHOWING %AGE OF THE VARIOUS RELIGIONS

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Sun Apr 1 11:04:06 MDT 2012

Dear Scott et al.,

Thanks for the rant, Scott. Agreeing with almost all you say, I naturally will turn to the bit where we differ. You write that defining what is and isn't genuine Buddhism is

> an important conversation to have -- especially if you're in a position of leadership within a Buddhist community. Defining what is and is not "really" Buddhism in that context is deadly important work. But, as far as I'm concerned, that's not my job (lucky for me), so I'll leave it to other folks.

I've argued with Natalie Quli about this, as you know, both in Berkeley and here on buddha-l. In fact, I just excoriated Genpo Roshi, my latest book, and the AAR in general, during my address at the AAR Western Regional conference. Why was I so critical of the AAR? For failure to step up to condemn folks like Genpo and me (well, only partially) when their work claims to represent the dharma but doesn't. So I'm still holding to the un-pc view that there is some muddy bottom or set of family resemblances that constitute "Buddhism(s)" and that it *is* part of our job as scholars (and especially as scholar-practitioners) to help discern it. That it's hard and perhaps even a bit arrogant is no excuse for not doing the work.

Scott, have you seen the Pew research on mixing faiths and practice in America? I think you'd like this report: <http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1434/multiple-religious-practices-reincarnation-astrology-psychic>. Anecdotally, my own students' views echo this mixing/blending/hybridity. When I confront them on how they can believe in reincarnation and judgment, simultaneously, they tend to respond with a willingness to let go of *both* views. Very Buddhist of them.

Franz