[Buddha-l] Buddhists in New Mexico

Michael La Torra mlatorra at nmsu.edu
Tue Apr 3 08:56:18 MDT 2012

Hi folks,
I was as surprised as anyone with the percentage of Buddhists who supposedly inhabit my state according to the survey mentioned on this list previously. Perhaps a lot of them are Hollywood-type Buddhists who bought land in the more scenic northern locations of New Mexico. I don't know about that, since my sangha is located down here in the poorer and somewhat less scenic southern part of the state.

My point in writing is to show that there are at least a few groups of genuine, practicing Buddhists here in New Mexico, as Richard can attest.

Oh, and by the way, I do have one Hollywood friend who lives in Malibu. When she introduces me to folks in her social circle, she refers to me as "a real Buddhist." So even among Hollywood types, at least some people know and respect the difference.

Link to our Zen Center, small but still active:
http://zencenteroflascruces.org/

Regards,

Michael LaTorra
Assistant College Professor