[Buddha-l] Rice & Dragons

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 15 16:54:05 MDT 2012

Since the nature of the links I supplied seems to have been missed, let me
briefly explain the sorts of things I selected (they are not random), and
why, and what they were intended to provide and/or document.

First, as I just explained, while the full story of the rise and fall of
Buddhism and Buddhists in Central Asia and India is a long and complicated
story, and individual events will never tell the whole story, certain
events -- as well as we can recover history today -- can be seen as pivotal,
and thus deserve special attention.

One such set of events are the ones that brought Buddhists to Baghdad, their
temporary flourishing there, and then their purging. This set the tone for
future situations since the players on the Muslim side also became major
figures in the development and spread of political Islam. Hence one would do
well to study figures such as Al-Mahdi, Al-Mansur, Yahya ibn Khalid, and
especially Harun al-Rashid, along with the House of Wisdom (bayt al-hikhma).
Mention was made in one of the links to the Fihrist, an important book that
gives details on what Arabs at that time knew and were having translated
from Indian and other non-Muslim sources about Buddhism, Manichaeism, etc.
(there is an English translation -- some of it is available on google books,
I believe; worth a read).

Pieces on these people are still on Wikipedia, although the mentions of
Buddhism only remain in one or two pieces, in passing comments. There used
to be more. More importantly, all the material on what happened to end a
very special ecumenical moment has been removed, very likely by people
uncomfortable with the dissemination of such information.

Harun is the one who invited Buddhists to Baghdad, based on their fame as
translators, literary scholars, etc. His reign was famously one of the most
open and ecumenical moments in the entire history of Islam, and recognized
as such by Muslim and non-muslim scholars today. He primarily drew the
Buddhists from Gandhara and Kashmir. But he collected scholars and
translators from all over the known world. His successor, Yahya, amidst his
military campaigns, initially continued this patronage, and established the
House of Wisdom -- a working library, translation and study center.
Buddhists became numerous -- and not all were celibate monks.

Within a generation or two, the tide turned, non-Muslim traditions were
suppressed -- People of the Book, primarily Jews and Christians, were
oppressed in a variety of ways, but people NOT of the Book, such as
Buddhists and Jains, were not to be tolerated at all. They were purged from
Baghdad and many places in central Asia, fleeing to and then holding up in
some monastic "fortresses" in the Sind.

I pointed to these events for several reasons, the most important being,
this was the beginning of an important turning point in the relation between
Buddhists and Muslims in western and central Asia. It was not until
Al-Biruni (973 -1048) famously argued that the status of "People of the
Book" should be bestowed on "Hindus" (which meant anyone living south of the
Indus river -- inclusive of Jains, whatever was left of Buddhists, as well
as what we today call Hindus), that some muslim conquerors grudgingly
conceded this, and, at least amongst certain sufis and Islamic
intellectuals, Buddhist, Hindus and Jains became "honorary" people of the
book (along with Plato and Aristotle). Al-Biruni was indeed fascinated with
Indian science and philosophy, and his efforts and polemics probably ended
up sparing the lives of countless thousand of non-Muslims over the
centuries, but especially in his own time -- when he fashioned that argument
precisely to prevent a campaign of massive slaughter that was about to be
unleashed.

So, if one is sincerely interested in figuring out "why" and "how" Muslims
came to regard and treat Buddhists as they did, the Baghdad episode is an
important series of events to investigate.

Another especially important event for Buddhism -- the beginning of the end
of sustained East Asian contact with India (and some of the reason why
Buddhism started flowing to Tibet instead of China and East Asia) is the
Battle of Talas in 751.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Talas

Arabs seized and disrupted the silk routes. Their aim probably was more
economic and military-strategical rather than "religious" per se, but the
effects were devastating and decisive. Tibet was spared because, at the
time, it was a major military player in the region. That virtually no Indic
Buddhist developments later than the early 8th c ever reached China or East
Asia (aside from a fast flirtation with tantra that took root in Japan but
not China) has much to do with this battle and its aftermath (but of course
the full picture has additional facets and features, but this one looms
large among them).

I would certainly hope that anyone seriously interested in the sorts of
questions Artur is raising -- which are important and vital -- would explore
beyond a few web pages.

I provided the Encyclopaedia Iranica links because it contains entries by
solid scholars (like Emmerick), and can hardly be considered biased against
Islam. They offer various glimpses of Buddhist interactions with Islam, as
well as historical sketches of regions before and after Muslims arrived, and
the impact that had on the native Buddhist populations. Also the last
moments of Buddhist presence in Iran, which ended with conversion of the
ruling Mongols to Islam.

It would be constructive if others would provide more actual information, or
search some out. Imagining none of this happened, or pretending it doesn't
mean anything, is not a viable option except for the willfully blind. Buddha
warned what a string of blind being led by the blind results in.

Dan