[Buddha-l] Rice & Dragons

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sun Apr 15 21:49:11 MDT 2012

On Apr 15, 2012, at 9:45 AM, "Jo" <jkirk at spro.net> wrote:

> Thanks for mentioning Adi Shankara..........very important force and
> subsequent organisation for the destruction of Buddhism in south India.

I've always assumed this claim that Śankara had a hand in vanquishing Buddhism was little more than sectarian boasting. Phyllis Granoff has written convincingly that in South India the rivalry between Buddhists and Jainas was pretty intense and led to some unseemly conduct on both sides. I love a good religious war between advocates of ahimsā.

R. Hayes