[Buddha-l] In God we trust

Jo jkirk at spro.net
Tue Apr 24 08:33:07 MDT 2012

On 23/04/2012, Erik Hoogcarspel <jehms at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Since the crisis the hotel prices in the Bahama's have gone up, so
> staying there for more than 4 months a year is treathening my budget.
> I'm contemplating to start a temple to get extra revenue. What would
> be better; a Buddhist one in Japan or China, or a Hindu temple in India?
> http://is.gd/CnKEib
>
> Erik

Not surprising that it is a Jain Mandir that is "the second highest earner among all the temples in North India" - Many Jains are jewellers or into other lucrative businesses. Very enterprising of them to use their money to construct a Ram Mandir modelled on Angor Wat. What Lord Rama has to do with Jainism  beats me - but it will surely make them popular with the BHP, VHP and similar organisations and attract vast numbers of Indian tourists whose offerings and donations will undoubtedly add even more to their coffers.

However if you really want to get rich in India you should emulate Swami Baba Ramdev who has his own TV network and is watched by millions every day. He has even bought his own island:
http://is.gd/hsnN3N

These spiritual TV networks  have their own game shows <http://is.gd/XIB7yC> where where  "knowledge on Indian rituals and beliefs" is tested.. There was apparently even a  "reality TV" show in India where Pandit Surender Sharma a Tantric Guru tried to kill someone live on his TV show using a Tantric <ritual http://is.gd/4yfjis>.

I'm sure a Buddhist temple in Taiwan or Singapore could do quite well too - Especially if  you pretend you have been "recognised" as some important lama and have monks proficient in performing rituals to Vaiśravaṇa, Jambhala, Vasudhārā, Kurukule and so on which you can tell your patrons will ensuring wealth and success in business. You could also manufacture and sell fancy charms and amulets to ward off the black magic of your patrons competitors.

- C

Three cheers for spiritual enterprise--god does want you to be rich.

Joanna