[Buddha-l] FW: CONF Symposium: Gender, Sex, Pollution in Buddhist Discourse, Los Angeles, USC, February 3-4, 2012

Jo jkirk at spro.net
Fri Feb 3 09:54:20 MST 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: buddha-l-bounces at mailman.swcp.com
[mailto:buddha-l-bounces at mailman.swcp.com] On Behalf Of Alex Wilding
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2012 4:22 AM

No, I wasn't aware of that at all. I'd never heard of this before. How
outlandish, and how unpleasant! And how do the proponents of this view
square it with basic Buddhist principles such as motivation being a key
factor karma?
That's a rhetorical question, of course, but for anyone involved in that
sort of Buddhism it would be serious.
I see where you are coming from now.
All the best
Alex Wilding

Hi Alex--as we know, Buddhism isn't the same everywhere. All over the world
its discourses and practices have taken on interpolations, additions,
emendations-- to what "we" like to think was original Buddhism--from the
various cultural contexts where it landed up. My purpose in posting about
those ideas was gratitude that the crummy status of women in the culture of
Buddhism, east Asian variety, seemingly underexposed (although not of course
in older scholarly literature) was finally being re-researched.
I have to admit also that I was affected by recent political moves in the US
body politic (aside from recent execrable Republican rantings about
contraception as abortion) once again to restore the low status of women by,
for example, the Komen Foundation's defunding of Planned Parenthood. The
public outcry to that move was so enormous that today the same foundation
have retracted their decision and restored PP funding.

Joanna