[Buddha-l] More on the biology of politics

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sun Feb 5 07:39:52 MST 2012

It makes no difference at all where a statement comes from. The message itself is what should be heeded, not the  messenger. The message was at most a simple request to sign messages to buddha-l with first and last name. And it's only a suggestion, not a commandmant. (Remember: I grew up in a Unitarian household in which we were taught that a Higher Power gave Moses the Ten Suggestions.) Here's exactly what was said:

> I do think on any email discussion forum it is a courtesy to give both one's first and last name in signing a squib.

Lying by a fireplace does sound appealing. Thanks to global warming, however, today would be a better day to lie by a swimming pool than by a fireplace. (Wherever I lie, you can rest assured I will not be watching any football games.)

> Since you've not cited a prior reference to a 'Richard minus a surname', I'm unable to respond to that not bad idea.

Someone complained a while back that some Richard had edited something out of her message, and that was followed by other comments by other folks about Richard's editing habits. I was unable to tell whether those remarks were about Richard Nance, Richard Basham or Richard Breedon. Given that Buddha-l messages are posted without being edited, it may have referred to no Richard at all. (The list where messages are edited before being posted is H-Buddhism, which rejects top-posted messages and messages that are not properly signed. They have standards over there.)

Richard Hayes (Richard IV)
Non-watcher of televised gladiatorial combat