[Buddha-l] Check out The Right's Stupidity Spreads

sjziobro at cs.com sjziobro at cs.com
Sun Feb 12 12:57:42 MST 2012

-----Original Message-----

From: Jackhat1 <Jackhat1 at aol.com>
To: buddha-l <buddha-l at mailman.swcp.com>
Sent: Sun, Feb 12, 2012 1:24 pm
Subject: Re: [Buddha-l] Check out The Right's Stupidity Spreads

In a message dated 2/12/2012 12:08:29 P.M. Central Standard Time,
sjziobro at cs.com writes:

I understood the deep structure of Richard's comment to refer to a
situation where the U.S. Government is forcing a religious entity and its
adherents to provide resources for an enterprise to which it objects on
religious
and moral grounds. Structurally, this observations shares a parity  with what
the U.S. Government under an HHS mandate is demanding of Catholic
institutions and believers.
====
My understanding is that the religious entity, i.e., Catholic Church,  does
not provide any resources. What resources do you think it provides? The
State certainly provides resources/money to it.
===================

[Stan responds: The resources I had in mind were contraceptive and/or abortifacient, which are not presently provided, but which the HHS mandate requires Catholic institutions to provide within the year.  I appreciate your comment concerning certain State funding accepted in Catholic healthcare facilities.  If they never received any in the first place, or it they stopped receiving them, this would not have been an issue.]

The Catholic bishops offered a response on January 10 of this year to
President Obama's expressed compromise solution.  It can be located at
_http://www.usccb.org/news/2012/12-026.cfm_
(http://www.usccb.org/news/2012/12-026.cfm) .
==============
New York Archbishop Timothy Dolan, head of the U.S bishop's conference,
stated yesterday that the general plan as modified by the Administration
looks acceptable but he is still worried about the details.

[Stan responds: Yes, I know that Archbishop Dolan made his statement prior to the later, official response.  The later official response supercedes any initial observation and further outlines and articulates the concerns.]

 By the way, I attend my wife's Catholic Church. I like the priests with
whom I occasionally go out to have a coffee or stronger libations, like their
outreach programs (for instance, they are the largest provider of food and
funds to local food pantries) and like the people I have met there. I am a
big  fan. Not so much for the hierarchy above local priests.

[Stan responds:  I fully understand your view of the bishops in general.  I accept their authority and role, but I have other criticisms.]

Jackjack