[Buddha-l] Bourgeois Buddhism

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Mar 13 15:06:22 MDT 2012

I've been working my fingers to the bone over here and have not had time
to look at buddha-l for weeks. Having read all of September's entries,
it appears I haven't missed much. I do have one question, though, for
Jack, who wrote this:

> It has been my experience, limited though it might be, that the Western
> Buddhists I know follow the 8-Fold Path while ethnic Buddhists I know do
> not.

Just out of curiosity, which angas of the eightfold path do you see
people not following? Are you claiming they don't follow these limbs at
all, or that they are just not very good at them, or that they are
totally ignorant of what the limbs of the eightfold path are, or
something else? I am curious what exactly the observation you're making is.

Carry on.

Richard