[Buddha-l] Bourgeois Buddhism

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 05:30:40 MDT 2012

Hi all,

Richard wrote that he had always suspected Buddhism was pretty good
until it got spoiled by systematization and institutionalization of
religion. I think we can add to this list categorisation on the basis of
other dhammas.

It is a privilege to live in one’s country and to have grown up in it,
speaking it’s language, knowing its culture, especially if that country
mobilizes the power of reason, in order to reform society and advance
knowledge, tries to follow democratic values, human rights, and invites
immigrants and refugees to become full citizens as well, who are very
happy to become part of it. Let’s stop the self flogging for a minute
(Bourgeois Buddhism, ouch ouch), yet not be total Caucasian pricks, and
assume it is not only the prosperity that makes democratic countries
attractive, but also (some of) the enlightenhed principles.

And that those very principles may be appealing, including to « ethnic »
Buddhists in their own « ethnic » country is obvious in the case of King
Mongkut, Vajiranyanavarorot, KSR Kulap, Kruthep, Buddhadasa etc. in
Thailand and their wish for a rational evolution of Buddhism. It seems
to me that there was a similar « split » (rationalistic ? and
Buddhists. With the difference that Buddhadasa didn’t ordain Western
monks and encouraged them to keep their original religion. Whereas «
Buddhism. This should make « ethnic » Buddhists feel more than welcome !
Not bad at all for hospitality and service to those in need !
Joy