[Buddha-l] Bourgeois Buddhism

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 10:32:16 MDT 2012

"As for Buddhism, the only Americans I have seen coming even close to an
authentic Buddhist practice are the Amish. [....] The label "bourgeois
Buddhist" is perhaps not so far off the marks. "

It reminds me of the label "bourgeois and bohemian" (abreviated into
"bobo"), invented by David Brooks to describe yuppies, in his book Bobos
in Paradise (I had to wikipedy this information
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobos_in_Paradise). So "bobus" for your
bourgeois Buddhists. Do we have to live like the Amish to be authentic
(Buddhists)? Is it possible to live without greed, hatred and delusion?
Ok, my questions are a giveaway, yes I confess I am a bubo or a bobu
(bohemian buddhist).

Joy