[Buddha-l] Good resource site shut down

Christopher Fynn chris.fynn at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 02:51:17 MDT 2012

Gigapedia was full of medical books and journals, scientific,
engineering and technical publications as well as arts & humanities
material. The contents of some of those books is probably as essential
and valuable as medicine.

I suspect the site was largely put together by some university
librarian who had access to all this material in digital format and
thought they should be more freely accessible. It was not simply a
site where people uploaded books they had scanned

The approach of TBRC seems reasonable. They charge enough money to
university libraries and western subscribers to cover some of their
costs, but make everything freely available to people in India, Nepal,
Tibet and Bhutan (and many penniless western scholars as well).