[Buddha-l] Good resource site shut down

Katherine Masis twin_oceans at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 18 22:50:57 MDT 2012

In response to Richard Hayes’ comments, I would say that starving artists are one thing, while those big publishing houses are quite another.  What most publishers don’t realize is that some of us were enticed to buy some of their (more affordable) books precisely *because* we could read one or two chapters of our *own* choosing in the pdf versions, all thanks to library.nu.
“To go without” in the USA or Canada is very different from “going without” in the Third World.  North Americans have plenty of town and college libraries with humongous collections of books, and quick inter-library loan services.  Folks here in Costa Rica have to wait about 2 weeks for a book to arrive, with an admittedly small risk—but a risk nonetheless—that the item will get stolen on the way.  We have libraries here too, of course, but my particular taste in Asian studies just isn’t that well stocked on library shelves.  I’m still waiting for an inter-library loan request that I put in last year.  Last time I checked, I was third in line.  Maybe now I’m second.
To add more to this conundrum, here’s a link:
http://e-library-free.blogspot.com/2012/02/free-illegal-knowledge-and-how-not-to.htmlKatherine Masis
San Jose, Costa Rica