[Buddha-l] Article: The Death of the Scientific Buddha

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Nov 2 08:57:21 MDT 2012

I fear that Lopez is the victim of a case of mistaken identity, which is
understandable considering the fact that the stinking corpse in question
is already now in an advanced state of decay.

That is to say, reports of the death of "the scientific Buddha" are
greatly exaggerated, while his evil twin, "the scientistic Buddha" has
in fact gone the way of all flesh. May it rest in pieces.

None other than good old T.H. Huxley pointed out in the late 19th
century that both Buddhism and Reason are incompatible with the
crudities of Comte-istical positivism. Huxley did this by adroitly
pointing out that the notion of "matter" is equally susceptible to the
"metaphysical tour de force" employed by the Buddha in his
deconstruction of the notion of Self. To put it as plainly as possible:
"the 'substance' of matter is a metaphysical unknown quantity, of the
existence of which there is no proof." [See Huxley's 1893 essay
"Evolution and Ethics": http://aleph0.clarku.edu/huxley/CE9/E-E.html.]

Curt