[Buddha-l] Article: The Death of the Scientific Buddha

Jo ugg-5 at spro.net
Sat Nov 3 16:35:30 MDT 2012

[.......]
...the new phenomenological movements make clear that causal explanations
don't tell us anything about what it means to be human. This doesn't mean
that scientific experiments on meditation are useless, just that you have to
learn about meditation from an experienced meditator and that meditation
cannot be developed into a new weapon against North Korea and the Taliban.
[....]

Erik

Science also rarely tells us much that is useful about what it means to us
as individual humans to be human. Why? As already noted, science must
generalise.

Being individual humans (I don't mean individuated, but beings thinking they
are separate from other beings in some ways) finds generalisations to be
ambiguously applicable, or useful, for living. We all choose our
generalisations from the productions proclaimed or written by sages and
nonentities, or by listening to our grans, or some uncles or aunties.... or
we make our own.
One gets fed up of proclamations on being human, and on living or not living
(especially during elections, I might add). One just goes one's way now and
then, hoping it's not detrimental to self or others.
Joanna