[Buddha-l] Bangladesh Muslim lovefest

Artur Karp karp at uw.edu.pl
Tue Oct 2 01:29:37 MDT 2012

I know Eaton's two parts paper on the subject  - "Temple desecration
in pre-modern India" ("Frontline", December 2000, pp. 62-70) and
"Temple desecration and Muslim States in Medieval India" ("Frontline",
 January 2001, pp. 70-77), accessible at:

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/mealac/pritchett/00islamlinks/txt_eaton_temples1.pdf

and

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/mealac/pritchett/00islamlinks/txt_eaton_temples2.pdf

Do not see there any tabulation of "a thousand [desecrated or
destroyed temples]... he could not dismiss". But I'll have to read his
later books.

Thanks for the links.

Otherwise: nihil novi sub sole. How many earlier temples were
desecrated and destroyed to secure places on which to erect Buddhist
viharas? Any attempt at tabulation?

Artur

A.