[Buddha-l] Buddhist stupa to be moved from NM Petroglyph Park

Christopher Fynn chris.fynn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 10:53:20 MDT 2012

On 02/10/2012, Alex Wilding <alex at chagchen.org> wrote:
> The Reverend Dr Hayes claimed:
>> It's a remarkably ugly stupa.
> and
>> It's an eyesore that clashes with the terrain in
>> Petroglyph National Monument
>
> A subjective expression of personal taste, of course. Having googled one or
> two pictures of this stupa it looks to me like a rather normal stupa,
> fairly
> pretty as they generally are, and well-suited to a landscape that is not
> dissimilar from the sort of place one might see such a stupa in the
> Himalayas. I wish there were one like that overlooking the place I live.
> Perhaps I should try and raise funds to build one?

The stupas one sees in the Himalayas are generally made of stone, not
concrete - so they do fit in better with a natural environment.
However I notice form the pictures that there appears to be a fairly
ugly building nearby as well as some power poles and a road - so this
stupa is hardly spoiling some pristine environment. It is pretty tiny
too as the 10 foot height includes the spire which seems to be nearly
half the height.

As for building one - if you can find enough stones or used bricks,
and are prepared to do the hard work yourself, it doesn't cost that
much to build a stupa.