[Buddha-l] Bangladesh Muslim lovefest

Jo ugg-5 at spro.net
Tue Oct 2 11:56:03 MDT 2012

As I recall, Eaton also wrote about Hindu temples destroyed by Hindu kings,
then rebuilt with their Kingly-chosen replacements. His main point was that
such destruction (on both 'sides') was a political/ imperial domination act
rather than a communal one. Not sure I agree with the latter point, but
important to know that Hindus also destroyed Hindu temples. Also doubt that
Buddhist viharas were erected over wrecked Hindu temples--more likely they
were appropriated by the Buddhists, as local Buddhists in parts of India
also venerate some Hindu gods and many Hindu temples features statues of the
Buddha among their murtis.   In reverse, Brahmins have appropriated running
Bodhgaya temple in India.
JK

Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 1:30 AM

Otherwise: nihil novi sub sole. How many earlier temples were desecrated and
destroyed to secure places on which to erect Buddhist viharas? Any attempt
at tabulation?

Artur

A.