[Buddha-l] Bangladesh Muslim lovefest

Jo ugg-5 at spro.net
Wed Oct 3 09:09:32 MDT 2012

Artur:
Look please at the 12th Aśoka's Edict, where the ruler, the exemplary dhamma-vijaya propagator, quite openly threatens the tribals
("forest-dwellers") with the use of [military] power he has at his disposal.

JK--This is another example of Ashoka's propaganda, which follows from the attitudes of earliest times. The Vedas deplore, and warn about,  "forest dwellers", who were considered apparently less than "human", let's say animalistic, and accused of interfering with the plans of civilized Vedics.

As to who these forest dweller people actually were, the controversy hasn't been resolved, far as I know. Buddhism, as has already been noted here (as I recall), had to be associated with urban areas in order to fulfill the daily alms round-food supply. The Buddha also was alert to arrange for patronage of the local Kings, for protection of his sangha. Therefore, I would argue that Buddhists of the earliest period had nothing to do with forest dwellers, probably hoped to steer clear of them while traveling through forests. The divyavadanas have references to forest dwellers that show them to be feared and dangerous. There is no evidence of any sort that I know of concerning the built shrines, or deities, of such people.
On the basis of later cultures' descriptions, I'd guess that they did not build shrines but venerated/feared nature spirits. I think the anthropologist of tribals, Verrier Elwin, said somewhere that the tribals developed ideas of a chief god or goddess from their association with Hindus, an association that came to be based on the local haats or market places frequented by tribals trying to sell or exchange their forest products for manufactured stuff.

Joanna