[Buddha-l] Bangladesh Muslim lovefest

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 5 10:00:38 MDT 2012

Hi Dan, thanks for the elaborate answer. I can see where you're coming
from, but I suppose I'll never join your group. It may be because of my
intellectual limitations or the malicious influences in my storehouse. I
cannot give up this distinction between reason and cause, between
because an caused by, though I know this is becoming ever more impopular
these days.

Op 5-10-2012 7:54, Dan Lusthaus schreef:

> In Buddhism nothing is independent. Mutual dependencies entail mutual
> responsibilities. Hence everything is responsible, and the more aware
> you are (in Mahayana jargon, the higher up the bodhisattva ladder),
> the MORE responsible you are toward sentient beings. This dependency
> is nicely captured in Georgios Halkias' translation of a passage from
> the Vimalakirti Sutra (in his brand new _Luminous Bliss: A Religious
> History of Pure Land Literature in Tibet_, Univ of Hawaii Press, 2013,
> p. 10):
>
> --
> To the extent that Bodhisattvas favour beings do they acquire
> buddhaksetras. To the extent that beings produce all sorts of pure
> qualities do Bodhisattvas acquire buddhaksetras. To the extent that
> beings are disciplined by these pure buddhaksetras do Bodhisattvas
> acquire buddhaksetras... (VS 1, sec. 12)
> --
In that case I wish you endless buddhaksetras, but I for myself will not
hold you responsible for what I write, how much it all might be
dependent on your words.

Erik