[Buddha-l] Canada cancels non-Christian prison

Richard Basham bshmr at aol.com
Fri Oct 12 18:21:22 MDT 2012

{Lance Cousins}
>> In any case, all this would say is that some people when there is a
>> reason or need for making a choice will pick Buddhist and may not
>> make any choice under other circumstances.

{Dave Living}
> Maybe some prisoners claim to follow Buddhism so they don't have to
> endure the Sunday Service in the Prison church. That might really
> skew the figures.

Actually:

Search:  prison meditation results  at http://search.yippy.com/
sub-group  'programs' provides some research, etc to start with.

And,

Pema Choudron may have been the 'trainer' in a vaguely recalled video
which had interviews with participating prisoners:
http://www.shambhalasun.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3773&Itemid=0
[As I recall, commitment to meditation was relatively honored by
non-meditating others, in a way, similar to non-threatening gang or
tribe as well as some value for 'personal growth' and coping.]

Richard Basham

PS: Rime Center has a limited (week-end & mentoring) program for
inmates, in Leavenworth Penitentiary as I recall (AIR).