[Buddha-l] Canada cancels non-Christian prison chaplaincies

Jo ugg-5 at spro.net
Sat Oct 13 08:59:46 MDT 2012

> Interesting--what this suggests is that some Buddhists in Canada are
> busy bringing Buddhism to prisoners, as happens in some states in the USA.

Yes, there are several disciples of Goenka who have offered vipassan in Canadian prisons. They usually dissociate the practice from Buddhism, however, and offer it as a universal practice without any particular religious affiliation.
Richard Hayes

"Interesting. Not the case in the USA. I have seen various evidence that both Theravada and Tibetan Buddhist organisations in the US began and continue to practice taking Buddhism to prisoners. I think someone mentioned the nun Chodron--she was one of them, right?

jk