[Buddha-l] Was Mr. Pol Pot a Buddhist?

James A Stroble stroble at hawaii.edu
Mon Oct 15 23:42:14 MDT 2012

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 14:51:23 -0700
"Scott A. Mitchell" <buddhaworld at gmail.com> wrote:

> For what it's worth, regarding Žižek, there's this article in
> Contemporary Buddhism:
>
> Møllgaard, Eske. “Slavoj Žižek’s Critique of Western Buddhism.”
> Contemporary Buddhism 9, no. 2 (2008): 167-80.
>
> It's been a while since I read this article, but my sense was that
> Žižek's "critique" is rather diffuse, spread out across a half dozen
> different sources, none of which are really about Buddhism

I haven't read this either, but thanks for the reference.

> > I think it's safe to say that Žižek (like Gregory Schopen) thrives
> > on being (or at least being perceived as) outrageously contrarian.
> > He knows that Buddhism has a ridiculously and largely undeserved
> > good press, and he cannot resist poking icons in the eye.

Am I the only denizen of Buddha-hell that finds this comment by the
Coyote dripping in irony?   Outrageously contrarian?  Please!

(And I have to add, that I find Buddhism in general, across a half a
dozen different sources, to be more or less outrageously contrarian,
so maybe, in a sort of Post-marxist Marxian way, Žižek is a Buddhist.)

James Andy Stroble, Leeward Community College, University of Hawaii.