[Buddha-l] Was Mr. Pol Pot a Buddhist?

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 16 12:09:48 MDT 2012

Op 16-10-12 18:41, Jo schreef:
> (And I have to add, that I find Buddhism in general, across a half a dozen different sources, to be more or less outrageously contrarian, so maybe, in a sort of Post-marxist Marxian way, Žižek is a Buddhist.)

I don't understand this. Do you mean the Buddhist doctrines or the
movement and if the latter: the present or the historical one? Must a
contrarian person always be a member of a contrarian movement or
religion? How can a contrarian religion be establishment like in many
Asian countries? Is there a new refuge formula  'I am contrarian in the
Buddha, dharma and sangha'?
I'm not sure that the best response to a comment is just to say that the
author is contrarian. Isn't this an ad hominem?

Erik