[Buddha-l] Islam and forced conversion (Was Buddhists Taking a Stand Against Isllamophobia)

Gerald McLoughlin caodemarte at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 26 12:25:00 MDT 2012

Curt,

Both statements would be highly contested in reference to both civil and religious law across the Islamic world. In the various religious law traditions what apostasy is (must it include some sort of specific act, like treason, against  Muslims, for example) and should/can it be punished still generate heated controversy.

 Each  country is different, of course, but since you cite Malaysia:

Malaysian  law as I understand it, says that you cannot formally convert before the age of majority, 18 by federal law, 15 in some states. You have no automatic right to receive religious instruction in a religion other than your father' s before that age. You are listed under your father's religion until then.  After that age it is up to you. Since Islam is defined as essential to Malay identity you have to be Muslim to be Malay which has great benefits under their version of affirmative action. If you convert you presumably lose that ethnic identity. I am not sure what identity you could pick up if any. As you can imagine this is all pretty controversial in Malaysia.

In the most populous Muslim majority state, neighboring Indonesia, I do remember the pre-democracy state ideology which established the main religions, such as Buddhism, specifically  because they all believed in the same presumably Abrahamic God. Ethnic Chinese Buddhists decided not to argue the definition of Buddhism.

Now I am really back to Buddhism,

Gerald McLoughlin