[Buddha-l] Tibet China - not about self-immolations

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 1 10:27:31 MDT 2013

Chris and Richard,

The reason I included the whole article instead of simply a link to the url
is the more general information about the environmental devastation the
Chinese have been wreaking, which is well described in the second half of
the article.

The Chinese are now infamous for buying up a resource, and then sending
their OWN workers there to cultivate and collect it. They are quietly doing
it around the globe -- Asia, Africa, South America, even the US and Canada,
and already have an ownership lock on many of the world's most precious
and/or necessary resources. They keep their workers in all-Chinese camps,
and set up little mini-villages typically largely in isolation from the
surrounding general population. They don't treat their own workers very
well, and would probably treat native workers even worse, so not employing
Tibetans is a mixed blessing. Protest and dissatisfaction to this Chinese
practice remains local -- there is no global protest movement yet.

I heartily agree with Richard's suggestion that a body is something everyone
should have.

Dan