[Buddha-l] Mes Aynak

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 24 00:54:19 MDT 2013

Some may remember a few years ago the alerts and discussions posted here
about a Chinese mining company poised to decimate a huge, irreplaceable
Afghani excavation site on which a Buddhist monastic complex going back
nearly 2000 years had been newly discovered, but barely explored. The
Chinese company, under international protest, agreed to a temporary
suspension of their strip mining for copper. That temporary period is about
to come to end, less than 10% of the area has been excavated, and most of
what has been found so far is too fragile to move. The mining will destroy
everything. Already spectacular finds have been made, and the archeologists
say the best remains undiscovered. An "op-doc" in the nyt (copied below)
reviews the status. Included on the nyt web site with the piece is a
poignant video, a bit over 7.5 minutes, showing some of the finds,
interviews, etc.

Dan

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/24/opinion/a-chinese-threat-to-afghan-buddhas.html?hp&_r=0
or
http://tinyurl.com/b99emht

--
April 23, 2013
'A Chinese Threat to Afghan Buddhas'

In 2007, the Chinese state-owned China Metallurgical Group Corporation
(M.C.C.) won the rights to mine copper at a site called Mes Aynak. Situated
in volatile Logar Province, Mes Aynak is home to one of the world's largest
untapped copper deposits - worth more than $100 billion. Yet, as this Op-Doc
video shows, the site also houses the astonishing remains of an ancient
Buddhist city, which archaeologists are now racing to save. An international
team has only until June to finish the excavations, which began in 2009. So
far they have uncovered golden Buddhist statues, dozens of buildings and
fragile Buddhist manuscripts buried within temples. Yet perhaps 90 percent
of the site remains underground and unseen. To finish the job could take
decades. In all likelihood, the destruction of the Buddhist sites will begin
later this year. The Afghan government is letting this happen - it's a
tragedy that echoes the notorious destruction of the Buddhas at Bamiyan in
2001.

Yet, even after four trips to Afghanistan to report this story, it's
difficult for me to know for sure what will become of Mes Aynak. Recent
repeated attempts to contact the M.C.C. to confirm the mining timeline for
this story have gone unanswered. There is widespread corruption and
virtually no government transparency in Afghanistan, and the M.C.C. contract
has never been made public.

I have heard arguments in favor of the mining. The copper deal is the
largest foreign investment and private business venture in Afghanistan's
history. There is hope among some Afghans that this Chinese deal will bring
real and positive change to Afghanistan - jobs, infrastructure and money to
help fuel economic growth. Some of the Buddhist artifacts are being rescued,
and it's possible that not all of the ancient sites will be destroyed by the
mining.

But I worry that nothing positive will come from this mining project. I fear
the mineral resource is being undervalued, that money will be lost to
corruption in the Afghan ministries and that jobs at the mine will go to
Chinese immigrants. Geologists tell me that, as a result of the open-pit
style of mining, the site will most likely become so toxic that nothing can
ever live there again. Money can come and go, but these precious historical
artifacts will be gone forever.

Brent E. Huffman is a documentary filmmaker and assistant professor at the
Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University. He is expanding the
material in this Op-Doc into a feature-length documentary.