[Buddha-l] Films

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue Apr 5 09:02:23 MDT 2005

> I am presently teaching a course in philosophy of religion from a more or
less global perspective.  At this point in the semester, we are in the
process of comparing Buddhism with theistic religions.  Because the students
have virtually no knowledge of Buddhism, our exploration will be,
regrettably,  very basic and very general.  With this in mind, can anyone
recommend a relatively accessible film that could serve as a vehicle for an
admittedly superficial examination of some fundamental Buddhist principles.
I think there was a discussion about films on Buddha-L a while ago.  If so,
I apologize for bringing this up again.  I would appreciate any suggestions.

> Carl Kalwaitis
> Philosophy Dept.
> Marian College
This bibliography by Donald Swearer has a few potentials:
http://teaching_buddhism.tripod.com/filmbib.htm

One possibility:
_Buddhism, Footprint of the Buddha_ 54 minutes, color. 16mm and
videocassette, 1977. BBC Long Search Series/Peter Montagnon producer.
Distributor: Time-Life Video, Inc. 100 Eisenhower Drive, Paramus, NJ 07652.
Buddhism in Sri Lanka narrated by Ronald Eyre. Focuses on monastic lift: and
interaction between monk and laity. Highly recommended.

Joanna