[Buddha-l] vehicles for an admittedly superficial examination of some fundamental Buddhist principles

Gary Gach gary.gach at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 10:34:01 MDT 2005

>a relatively accessible film that could serve as a vehicle for an
admittedly superficial examination of
>some fundamental Buddhist principles.

Bertolucci's LITTLE BUDDHA was expected to be the very item; but I've heard
it said that problems with the actor playing the Buddha prevented scripted
scenes from reaching the film. That said, it might just do, for your
purposes, I don't know. It gets crosscut with a contemporary Vajrayana
thread. (I've just seen TOKYO STORIES for the 3rd time in my life -- spacing
it by intervals of decades -- and can't see anything NOT Buddhist in the
film, but then Prof Robert Sharf absolutely disagrees with me: so maybe
everyone sees a different film?)

My survey of "Buddhist" film(s) is online: Mind
Mirror<http://awakening.to/poparts.html#movies>,
[http://awakening.to/poparts.html#movies] an excerpt from a title to
possibly refer your class to, my 'admittedly superficial' Complete Idiot's
Guide to Understanding Buddhism (whose chapter on Interfaith, which I
believe was your substantive theme, yields a portal of online
resources: Different
Travel Agents, Same Destination? Other
Paths.<http://awakening.to/interfaith.html>[
http://awakening.to/interfaith.html]); now in a second edition (teachers of
introductory surveys, please email me). Please forgive me if I've already
commited this unBuddhist act of 'self'-promotion here, before; I can't
remember.

--
Gary.Gach at Gmail.com http://word.to
 m a y a l l b e i n g s