[Buddha-l] This pope

Jim Peavler jpeavler at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 5 12:44:28 MDT 2005

It seems to me that this pope may have decided from the beginning to
allow "infallibility" to take care of itself, i.e., not make any
changes in the received doctrines. Also, a large majority of his church
are considerably right of him on theological matters. The church in
Africa and Asia consists primarily of people who compete on equal
footing with the most fundamentalist sects of Islam in narrow minded
superstition and violence. European and North American Catholics are
minority cults far more liberal than the great masses of Catholics in
the rest of the world. Any future pope will face the same problem, I am
afraid. Any dramatic change of direction in matters of doctrine might
meet with considerable (possibly dangerous) opposition.

It seems to me that this pope, given these circumstances, and his
overriding interest in world politics and in humanism, might have
chosen to concentrate on human issues about which he apparently hoped
he could have some influence. Thus, his pre-papal interest in improving
relations with the Jews (somewhat frustrated later by the conservative
movement in Israel), and in overcoming tyrannic governments. His
interest in the World Bank's forgiving the debts of developing
countries, and ending the death penalty are a couple more examples.

I have deeply mixed feelings about the man. I loved his humanity and
his genuine interest in people as people. I am sorry that he defended
several doctrines that I find odious.