[buddha-l] Of twins and worms (was: This pope)

Julia Milton juliassubs at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 5 19:57:28 MDT 2005

Stephen Hodge said,

> The Catholic view is that each individual is
> created as an unique and *indivisible* soul.
> However, a problem arises in the cases of twins,
> triplets etc -- in the case of monozygotic twins
> etc, the division into more than one individual
> only occurs at around 14 days. This implies that
> until they become distinct individuals each with
> their individual souls at that stage, the single
> fertilized ovum cannot have a soul and therefore
> is not human.  There is also the inherent
> contradiction that the souls of some individuals
> are present from the moment of conception while for
> others not until 14 days has elapsed. An interesting
> condundrum -- which also has implications for
> Buddhists believing in rebirth, but perhaps less
> intractably so.

I agree that this has very interesting implications
for Buddhists... especially Buddhist identical twins!

Actually, what's always intrigued me is the example of
the earthworm (or flatworm, or what have you) which,
when cut in half, manages to continue life as *two*
worms.  How does someone with an orthodox view of
rebirth reconcile this with the teachings?  Are we to
think, for instance, that one mindstream has been
present since conception, and another entered Worm
Part II at the very moment the knife cut through the
creature?  Are two mindstreams supposedly present?  Or
is there still only the one, with Worm Part I being
the "real" half of the worm, and the other worm merely
operating on remote control?  Perhaps only the worm
knows... and it (they) ain't telling.

I've always meant to ask a lama about this, but alas,
any time I actually do get quality time with a lama,
I've usually got other things on my mind, such as
questions about meditation practice.  Rats!

Julia