[Buddha-l] This pope

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Apr 6 09:12:57 MDT 2005

Dear Stanley,

You wrote:
> Is the implication you draw here the stated Catholic position or is it
> your conclusion?  It seems to me that the Catholic emphasis upon human
> life beginning at conception leaves no room for the position you offer.
> Have you references that would be of use for further inquiry?

However, if you had read my msg attentively, you would have understood that
I was highlighting an obvious theological conundrum for the Vatican which
conflicts with the current Catholic position, which has already been noted
by some within the Catholic hierarchy: if the soul is indivisble and unique,
what is the status of a monozygote that becomes twins etc during the approx
14 days before it splits ?  Before it splits, the monozygote is potentially
just one individual so can only have one soul, so where does the extra soul
come from and which sibling keeps the original soul ?   Thus, as I
mentioned, there are some in the Vatican who see a need to re-examine the
matter carefully in the light of such recent embryological research -- I
don't have the reference to hand as I came across that item while scanning
through a lot of other material, but as far as I can remember the comment
came from somebody in the Vatican's department that liaises with a wide
range of scientists for the latest findings of research in various fields.
However, as you imply, the current position is unlikely to shift in the
forseeable future, even though, once again, the Church's cherished beliefs
will be at odds with scienctific fact.  That's why I characterize this as a
theological conundrum which, as I mentioned, also has some implicications
for some Buddhist beliefs.

best wishes,
Stephen Hodge