[Buddha-l] Re: Silence, conservatism and JPII

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Apr 7 09:38:56 MDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 09:15 -0400, Stanley J. Ziobro II wrote:

> What of his explicit and serious reservations about American-style
> capitalism as an untenable economic vehicle for justice? Does that,
> according to your method of reducing the man to his actions, thereby
> make him a liberal?

According to the title of a book being read by the many-tattooed large-
biceped savage-looking man sitting with his arm around an unnatural
blond in a skin-tight sweater in the waiting room of the bone doctor I
saw today, if the pope was a liberal, then he had a mental disorder.

While ordering your copy of Michael Savage's "Liberalism is a mental
disorder: Savage solutions," you may want to pick up a bumper sticker
(also available, along with the book, from Amazon.com) that says
"Liberalism is a disease." Or you might just want to go directly to
Michael Savage's web site and buy a "Liberalism is a mental disorder"
coffee mug or T-shirt. (Alas, I saw no books on Buddhism advertised on
his web site.)

Need any further evidence that the term "liberal" has pretty much lost
all meaning except as a quick and dirty way to denigrate those whose
ideas one does not accept?

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy