Fw: [Buddha-l] Moment of individuation [was: This pope] (Ziobro II)

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue Apr 12 11:46:35 MDT 2005

............. Thus, as I do not believe in souls and the implied uniqueness
> of humans, what I really find abhorrent is the way in which many humans
> think they have the right to murder and torture animals for food (with
> certain exceptions as a necessary evil), amusement, medical, scientific
and
> cosmetic research and testing.  The soul theory seems to me to be a
> pernicious doctrine in that it facilitates or even encourages such
> actitvities.  Humans aren't so special -- they probably won't be around
for
> much longer anyway the way things are going, certainly not in any great
> numbers.
>
> Best wishes,
> Stephen Hodge
As I understand the Catholic view, animals don't have souls, an additional
consideration to the assumption by humans who "do" have souls -- and were
given dominion over nature --that it's OK to torture, kill, etc animals.
Joanna