[Buddha-l] Moment of individuation

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Apr 13 21:13:50 MDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 20:15 -0400, Stanley J. Ziobro II wrote:

> Matter itself does not function; just look at a stone.  Whatever it is
> that brings about life, movement, growth, psychic functioning, and
> intelligence is an organizing principle that cannot be reduced to chemical
> bonds, etc.  With regard to your second statement, I take that to be your
> opinion.

Surely when dealing with these questions, we are all dealing only with
opinions, for the evidence is inconclusive. Why is it less an opinion to
say that matter itself does not function than to say that some kinds of
matter do function without anything but mechanical principles? Just look
at a human (or an amoeba's) body for examples of things that are
regarded by many as nothing but matter arranged in special ways through
random mutations.

When we have no means of solving an issue using reason, then the best
strategy, I think, might be to follow the advice of William James. Let
each of us believe what we are able, given our social conditioning, and
let each of us acknowledge that others have other conditioning than our
own. To use James's terms, what is a living hypothesis for some is not a
living hypothesis for others.

Now I believe I'll go take a walk.

--
Richard Hayes