[Buddha-l] RE: Moment of individuation

Peter D. Junger junger at samsara.law.cwru.edu
Mon Apr 18 12:07:06 MDT 2005

Alex Powell writes:

: Richard, I say there is one "framework" that must be accepted as "absolute",
: as reality and must be universally accepted either explicitly or implicitly a
: s the RIGHT way;
: "All Beings (everywhere and forever) want happiness and do not want suffering
: ".
: (Paul Williams finds this one difficult). (What are Beings? Beings are things
:  that accept, have intention. What is happiness? Happiness, following the abo
: ve quote from Shantideva, must concern an accepting, the intentional and thei
: r intent).
: If this is not universally accepted in some way then 1) it follows that what
: we are/must accept is not addressed, period (though different we must share a
:  similarity otherwise no pain etc). 2) the merest possibility of accepting si
: milarity/difference is not addressed, period (so no privileged, external posi
: tion). It would follow that convention is pointless because if it is not poss
: ible to address Being in the RIGHT way in the world, all acceptance whether e
: xplicit or implicit is literally blocked (because of this straightforward equ
: ation of Being with acceptance).
: Thanks for reading Alex Powell, UK, Awareness is compassion.

I don't think that I am capable of following this argument, unless
it merely amounts to an assertion of propositions that I would
probably disagree with were I capable of understanding them.

In any event they seem to be pretty far removed from the subject
matter of Buddha-L and I suggest that further discussion along
these lines be conducted off-list.

Ciao & Gassho,
Peter
--
Peter D. Junger--Case Western Reserve University Law School--Cleveland, OH
 EMAIL: junger at samsara.law.cwru.edu    URL:  http://samsara.law.cwru.edu