[Buddha-l] Dao and Tibet

Blumenthal, James james.blumenthal at oregonstate.edu
Wed Apr 20 17:37:51 MDT 2005

I've been looking for some connections between Daoism and Tibetan Buddhism. Firstly, the terms, in Tibetan: apparently rig.byed (C.Ramble) or the transliteration ta'o (M.Goldstein) can be used. Any further offers?

Also, does anyone know of translations of the Tao Te Ching (Daodejing) in Tibetan, ancient or modern? And commentaries would be of interest, too, though I suspect they'd be polemics.

Cheers,

Charles Manson

I don't know of any translations of the Tao Te Ching into Tibetan, but the Mongolian Geluk scholar Thu'u bkwan wrote about Taoism and other Chinese philosophical traditions in his grub mtha' (tenet system text).  Geshe Lhundup Sopa and Roger Jackson have completed a translation which I believe they are publishing soon.  You may want to contact Roger about that.
Jim Blumenthal

James Blumenthal
Department of Philosophy
Oregon State University