[Buddha-l] Re: Will new the pope verify Buddhist doctrine?

Catalina Castell-du Payrat c_castell at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 22 01:51:20 MDT 2005

Joanna wrote:

"so-called western Buddhism does not make a big play of organizing
charities,
women shelters, homeless programs, orphanages, etc. and then raising
money
for them, as the other religions do"

I have given a thought to this several times in the past. My conclusion is that some of this people that organise charities, raise money and help people to get shelter or food do that in a very selfish way, and they are not truly compasionated to other people around them. (I said "some of this people" ok?)

Something like you can do some nice things but it doesn't mean you are a kind person, or so. I recognise this is better than do nothing or the opposite for others but to me intention, or motivations or how you do those charities count. If you do things just because you think that you should or you will be a better person if you do it, I don't respect that very much. (Yes, yes, I can think about hundreds of exceptions, specially some presidents, or popes, that if they did something nice even if they don't believe in it would be a great thing!

I think  some western buddhist look very selfish but I guess this is because they are selfish, not because they are buddhist.

Catalina

Catalina Castell - du Payrat
c_castell at yahoo.com
http://mail.yahoo.com