[Buddha-l] Re: Taoist-Tibetan connection

Stanley J. Ziobro II ziobro at wfu.edu
Sat Apr 23 07:48:16 MDT 2005

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005, Bernie Simon wrote:

> There are obvious points of similarity between Taoist yoga, Kundalini,
> and Tibetan Tantric yoga. There are also points of similarity between
> Advaita, Mahamudra, Dzogchen, and Chan.
> What to make of these similarities is beyond me. I don't think it's
> correct to say they are all teaching the same thing in different
> guises. For one thing, all Tibetan Tantric practice is informed by the
> view of emptiness and this is not a trivial difference.

Bernie,

I would think that the points of similarities result from the exegencies
of being a human being, which include a certain discernible structure of
human consciousness and knowledge that is fundamentally one.  The
judgments one makes regarding the interpretation of some experience differ
because no one human being knows everything about everything, because of
varying intellectual capabilities, because of ignorance, passion, flights
from understanding, and so forth.

Stan Ziobro