[Buddha-l] liturgical languages (was: Will new the pope verify Buddhist doctrine?)

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Apr 27 09:36:09 MDT 2005

Richard P. Hayes wrote:

>>I abominate the affected
>>practice of chanting in languages that the congregation does not
>>understand. (Mind you, I chant in Sanskrit and Pali, but then I teach
>>those languages for a living. I would never recommend that anyone else
>>chant in those languages unless they knew the grammar and vocabulary.)

I am curious about what people on this list know about the use of
"liturgical languages"
in traditional Asian Buddhism. I have the impression that in most
Buddhist traditions
people do not actually chant in "their own" language. Even when Chinese
people
chant in "Chinese", or Tibetans chant in "Tibetan" - they are actually
chanting in a
version of said language that is quite different from the modern spoken
versions of
those languages. In other words, and to put it bluntly, isn't the idea
of chanting in one's
own language largely a Western affectation?

A specific example of the Buddhist use of liturgical languages (and one
that I am very
interested in) is the chanting done by Japanese and Korean Buddhists. I
read in Buswell's
"Zen Monastic Experience" that so-called "Korean" Buddhist chants are
actually in
Chinese - and a form of Chinese that is unique to Korean Buddhism, no
less. Is the same
true of "Japanese" Buddhist chants - are these actually in a
"Nipponized" liturgical version
of Chinese? Also - do Theravadin Buddhists chant in Pali, or in "their
own" language?

- Curt