[Buddha-l] liturgical languages

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Apr 27 12:08:11 MDT 2005

Richard P. Hayes wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 11:36 -0400, curt wrote:
>

>>In other words, and to put it bluntly, isn't the idea of chanting in one's
>>own language largely a Western affectation?
>>

>As far as I know, most Asian Buddhists chant syllables that they barely
>understand. But why would you call it an "affectation" to chant
>something that you understand instead of something that is gibberish to
>you? I should think it more an affectation to do the opposite.

Call it what you will - just so long as we are clear that what you are
insisting on is something
that has never been a generally accepted practice in the 2500 year
history of Buddhism in Asia.
I think this is a relevant point, since Western Buddhists are often
given the impression that
there is something peculiar about Westerners chanting in a foreign
language - when, in fact,
this is the way it has always been done in Asian Buddhism.

>But then I guess I have been overly influence by the Buddha's urging his
>disciples always to talk about dharma in the local language and always
>to chant in such a way that people can understanding the meaning of the
>text being chanted. Otherwise, one is just making unnecessary noise,
>nicht wahr?

Not at all. You seem to be primarily concerned with the literal meaning
of the chants.
I am personally much more concerned with how the chants sound. The Great
Dharani,
for example, is a very beautiful sounding chant - but when you translate
it into English
it is largely meaningless mumbo jumbo. But it sure does sound nice "in
the original".
And then there's the Heart Sutra - the Japanese, Korean and Chinese
versions have a
rhythm and musicality that is completely lost in translation. Yet
another example is the
"Kanzeon Sutra". When done in the Japanese version it is, in my opinion,
a genuinely
transforming experience - but the English translations are flat and
lifeless. You can have
your ginger ale - I'll still to the original gin. Like it says in the
Chaldean Oracles: "Never
change the barbarous names."

- Curt