[Buddha-l] liturgical languages

F.K. Lehman (F.K.L. Chit Hlaing) f-lehman at uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 27 15:56:37 MDT 2005

Curt wrote: Don't be so sensitive. In the initial post I specifically
mentioned Pali and Theravadins. There is no reason, other than
paranoia, to imply that this thread is par of some evil Mahayanist
plot to convince the world that
Theravadin Buddhism does not exist. Also, in the initial post, I was
responding to Richard's remarks which also specifically mentioned
chanting in Pali. Sheesh

What nonsense! Nobody was being sensitive and nobody was imagining a
Mahayanist plot to suppress recognition of Theravada. I was quite
clearly objecting to the bland generalisation about 'Buddhists of
Asia' because the things being said about using foreign language
recitations without local understanding of the meanings simply do not
apply to Theravadins in Burma and Thailand.
--
F. K. Lehman (F. K. L. Chit Hlaing)
Professor