[Buddha-l] Pali

Michel Clasquin clasqm at mweb.co.za
Fri Apr 29 03:28:03 MDT 2005

Sally McAra wrote:
> I like the sound of that - I've long been fascinated by languages and
> have wondered about the actual grammar and vocab (have delved into many
> languages over the years as part of my travels - Spanish, Turkish, and
> bits of others, also I learnt Maori at school) but haven't learnt
> sanskrit or Pali or Tibetan.
>
> Has anyone written up this sort of explanation (that they could email to
> me, or give a web or bibliographic reference to), e.g. of the Pali
> version of the refuges and precepts, that provides a breakdown of the
> grammar and vocab?

If you just need a quick introduction to Pali, try R E A Johansson's
"Pali Buddhist Texts Explained to the Beginner"(Curzon 1981, ISBN 0 7007
0063 3). Read the Summary of Grammar in the back of the book before you
go on to the texts themselves.

When you're done with that and you want to do serious work, you are
ready for the Monster in a Red Cover: A K Warder's Introduction to Pali
(Pali Text Society 1984, ISBN 0 7102 0356 X)

<I should be giving advice on this? My own Pali is so rusty it's a
disgrace ...>

--
"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so."
-- Bertrand Russell