[Buddha-l] liturgical languages

Stuart Lachs slachs at worldnet.att.net
Sat Apr 30 10:43:47 MDT 2005

> Richard P. Hayes wrote:
>
> > As I recall from my informal association with that outfit, this issue
> > was deeply painful. Didn't Roshi Kapleau lose his sanction to teach as a
> > result of his Japanese teacher being appalled that Kapleau's crew were
> > translating chants into English? (If Japanese was good enough for the
> > Buddha, it should be good enough for Americans, sou desu ka nee?) Or was
> > that just an ugly rumour?

Philip Kapleau had some informal sanction to teach given by Yasutani. He
never received formal Dharma transmission, whatever that may mean or be
worth. Kapleau and Yasutani indeed separated. Yasutani, according to his
successor Koun Yamada, sent Kaplaeu a long letter breaking off their
relationship after he returned to Japan from his last visit with Kapleau.

The reasons for the break are unclear. At the time there was some rumor in
Zen circles in NYC that Yasutani was upset over Kapleau using chants
translated into English. However, less well known is the fact that Kapleau
asked Yasutani not to bring Eido Shimano to the Rochester Zen Center
("outfit") with him from NYC because of Shimano's "behavior." Yasutani,
according to Kapleau resented this. Interestingly, Kapleau makes no mention
of chanting in English as an explanation of Yasutani breaking with him, only
"many things happening with Eido Shimano" and "not to bring him to
Rochester."

Kapleau claims Yasutani gave him a certificate stating that he could act as
a "missionary teacher" for the sect [The Sanbokyodan]. As far as anyone
knows, Kapleau received  two certificates from Yasutani. One dated August 7,
1958 states that Kapleau has studied with Yasutani since Feb.20,1955 and has
now passed the "initial barrier" [koan] of Zen. The second certificate dated
June 28, 1964 restates Kapleau passing the "initial barrier." It then states
that following this he has continued his practice of Zen and has undergone
ordination as a Soto Zen priest.

In 1986, a disgruntled Zen student, David S. sent a letter to Koun Yamada,
Yasutani's Dharma heir and then head of the worldwide Sanbokyodan
organization. David made some complaints about Kapleau and how poorly he was
running the Rochester Center. Yamada wrote a long letter to this fellow
stating that Kapleau did not come near to finishing his training, not even
finishing the Blue Cliff Record of koans. He made other charges against
Kapleau pertaining to the Three Pillars of Zen. He claimed Kapleau spoke
Japanese like a "little child" so that all the translations in the book were
done by Kubota roshi and himself, that Kapleau only "polished " their
English.

Kapleau gave a detailed reply to Yamada's letter. Kapleau countered just
about all Yamada said, except stating that he never "claimed" to be an heir
of Yasutani. Clearly, Yamada was real upset with Kapleau and seemd to be
waiting a long time to unload this.

One simple way of shedding light on what really was going on would have been
for Kapleau to show  Yasutani's letter breaking their realtionship so there
could be trustworthy translation for all to see. Kapleau for whatever
reasons never did this, thereby letting the chanting rumor take hold. If
this letter still exists, perhaps Kapleau's heirs could provide the
originals for translation. This has not happened. The two certificates that
Kapleau received from Yasutani became public because of requests/demands
from a Polish affiliate of the Rochester Zen Center being concerned over
"rumors" that Kapleau did not finish his training and have Dharma
transmission.

I have photo copies of both certicates that Kapleau received from Yasutani
along with
quick translations of them done by Brian Victoria. I also have copies of
Yamada's letter and Kapleau's reply. Unfortunately, I have never scanned
them into my computer. If anyone would like photo copies please email me
your mailing address and I will be glad to send you copies.

> I wasn't that deeply into the internal politics, but I believe they
> patched things up eventually.

As far as I know and the letters of 1986 bear this out, Kapleau and Yasutani
never
"patched things up." Kapleau made apologies later and thanked Yasutani for
his teaching and help, but they never got together again.

> <unabashed elitism alert>The world generally is a long way off from
> having composers like Bach and Mozart</unabashed elitism alert> I
> vaguely remember hearing that Philip Glass has Buddhist leanings,
> though. Not that his music makes for hummable tunes, of course.

Philip Glass is involved with Tibetan Buddhism and seems quite connected to
Tibet House in NYC where he lives. On the NYC subway system it is not
uncommon to hear Glass's tunes being hummed, at least it sounds that way to
my untrained slightly deef ears.

Stuart