[Buddha-l] Some Quotes

gruenig at tulane.edu gruenig at tulane.edu
Wed Aug 10 23:09:45 MDT 2005

As a test to see whether I am now able to post to buddha-l, I'm sending along a
few quotes (perhaps relevant to the query I asked Richard Hayes to pass along)
that I stumbled across on a website.

"Among all you people here today there's not a single one who's an unenlightened
being. Everyone here is a Buddha." 'Bankei Zen: Translations from the Record of
Bankei' pg. 4

"All of you should believe that your mind is Buddha, that this mind is identical
with Buddha." 'Sun-Face Buddha: The Teachings of Ma-Tsu and the Hung-Chou School
of Ch'an' pg 62

"Followers of the Way, as I look at it, we're no different from Shakyamuni. In
all our various activities each day, is there anything we lack? ... If you
could just look at it this way, then you'd be the kind of person who has
nothing to do for the rest of his life." 'The Zen Teachings of Master Lin-Chi'
pg. 24

"You have always been one with the Buddha, so do not pretend you can 'attain' to
this oneness by various practices." 'The Zen Teaching of Huang Po: On the
Transmission of Mind' pg 137 (pocket edition)

"Good friends, enlightenment (bodhi) and intuitive wisdom (prajna) are from the
outset possessed by men of this world themselves." 'The Platform Sutra of the
Sixth Patriarch' pg. 135

"Seen by the light of the true Dharma eye, all people--the old and the young,
the high and the low, priests and laypeople, wise and otherwise--are endowed
with the wonderful virtue of buddha-wisdom..." 'Essential Teachings of Zen
Master Hakuin'pg. 56

Best,
-Hans Gruenig.