[Buddha-l] [Fwd: Histories of Instant Recognition / Unconditioned Mind Essence]

Richard P. Hayes Richard.P.Hayes at comcast.net
Thu Aug 11 09:03:57 MDT 2005

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: gruenig at tulane.edu
To: Richard.P.Hayes at comcast.net
Subject: Histories of Instant Recognition / Unconditioned Mind Essence
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 04:16:20 +0200
Dear Richard,

For some reason, despite going to the new website / address, my posts are still
not appearing on Buddha-L.  Would you please post this for me?

Thank you,
-Hans Gruenig.

------------------------------

Greetings,

After many years of mainly Theravada studies (with limited explorations into
other forms of Buddhism) I have become interested in the history of the
following trends.

Path of Purification vs. Instant Recognition.  By "Path of Purification" I mean
the approach wherein the practitioner meditates and continually works to bring
mindfulness and equanimity to experience in order to uproot defilements.  Here
the practice focus is usually on conditioned phenomena.  By "Instant
Recognition" I mean the approach of pointing out / recognizing (often right at
the beginning of practice) the Unconditioned, Unborn, Radiant, Mirror Like,
Seamless Like Space, Luminous, Radiant, Deathless, Unchanging, Empty, Vast,
Sky-like "Mind Essence" which always already is.  Here the practice focus is
usually on unconditioned "Mind Essence" -- which seems (?) to be akin to pure
(non-dual) consciousness/awaring in some other Indian traditions.

* When did the Instant Recognition approach arise?
* What are the origins of the Instant Recognition approach?
* Is there evidence of Instant Recognition in the Pali Canon?
* Has anyone made a convincing argument that Nibbana (the only "unconditioned"
dhamma) in Theravada Buddhism is a reference to the Unconditioned Mind Essence?
* Otherwise, when does discussion of an unconditioned Mind Essence first arise
in the history of Buddhism (if not generally, then in your area of knowledge)?
At what point(s) does it culminate (if not generally, then within your area of
knowledge or expertise)?

Thank you,
-Hans Gruenig.
�